Kenya’s Geoffrey Kirui broke away from American Galen Rupp over the last 2 miles to win the 2017 Boston Marathon in 2:09:37. Rupp finished 20 seconds behind in 2:09:57.
Both men broke away from a large pack of elites with about 10k to go. Many thought Rupp would outkick Kirui to the finish but that simply wasn’t the case as Kirui broke away with ease to secure the victory.
Top 10 Boston Marathon Men
- Geoffrey Kirui – 2:09:37 (KEN)
- Galen Rupp – 2:09:57 (USA)
- Suguru Osako – 2:10:28 (JPN)
- Shadrack Biwott – 2:12:08 (USA)
- Wilson Chebet – 2:12:35 (KEN)
- Abdi Abdirahman – 2:12:45 (USA)
- Agustus Maiyo – 2:13:16 (USA)
- Dino Sefir – 2:14:26 (ETH)
- Luke Puskedra – 2:14:45 (USA)
- Jared Ward – 2:15:28 (USA)
American Meb Keflezighi finished 2:17:01 in what he has said will be his last Boston Marathon as an elite competitor. His last race will be the New York City Marathon. Big thank you to Meb for all he has done for the sport and marathoning in the USA.
Congrats to Geoffrey and all the elite men on great performances today.