Ethiopia’s Lemi Berhanu Hayle easily won the 120th Boston Marathon on Patriot’s Day with a time of 2:12:45. Hayle’s powerful close over the last 5K left last year’s winner Lelisa Desisa nearly a minute back
Desisa finished in second place in 2:13:32. Yemane Adhane Tsegay passed Wesley Korir to claim third place in 2:14:02. Korir finished fourth in 2:14:05.
2016 Boston Marathon Top 10 Male Results
- Lemi Berhanu Hayle (Ethiopia) – 2:12:45
- Lelisa Desisa (Ethiopia) – 2:13:32
- Yemane Adhane Tsegay (Ethiopia) – 2:14:02
- Wesley Korir (Kenya) – 2:14:05
- Paul Lonyangata (Kenya) – 2:15:45
- Sammy Kitwara (Kenya) – 2:16:43
- Stephen Chebogut (Kenya) – 2:16:52
- Abdi Nageeye (Netherlands) – 2:18:05
- Getu Feleke (Ethiopia) – 2:18:46
- Zachary Hine (USA) – 2:21:37
Congrats to Zachary Hine on being the first finisher from the United States. He finished in 2:21:37.
Ethiopia’s Atsede Baysa surprised almost everyone by winning the 120th Boston Marathon. She was the top female to finish after passing Tirfi Tsegaye in the last 10K and just getting stronger and stronger until she reached the finish line. She beat Tsegaye by 44 seconds.
Tsegaye finished in 2:30:03. Third place went to Joyce Chepkirui (KEN) in 2:30:50.
2016 Boston Marathon Top 10 Female Results
- Atsede Baysa (Ethiopia) – 2:29:19
- Tirfi Tsegaye (Ethiopia) – 2:30:03
- Joyce Chepkirui (Kenya) – 2:30:50
- Jelena Prokopcuka (LVA) – 2:32:28
- Valentine Kipketer (Kenya) – 2:33:13
- Flomena Cheyech Daniel (Kenya) – 2:33:40
- Buzunesh Deba (Ethiopia) – 2:33:56
- Fate Tola (Ethiopia) – 2:34:38
- Neely Spence Gracey (USA) – 2:35:00
- Mamitu Daska (Ethiopia) – 2:37:31
Congrats to Neely Spence Gracey on being the first female finisher from the United States. She ran a strong race and finished in 2:35:00 with a big gap over second American, Sarah Crouch.